Arming Your Immune System
Arming Your Immune System
Your immune system is your body’s front line defence. It’s like having your own private army constantly protecting, identifying and mounting a defence to destroy unfamiliar pathogens, then promoting repair in the body. Most of the time we are not even aware of this little army, but when it is compromised we are more vulnerable to infection and illness.
With 70% of your immune system found in the gut, this army in our gut regulates the immune balance to mount the right kind of defence for what it encounters.
With 70% of the immune system found in the gut.
Protect the gut = Protect immunity
Healthy gut = Healthy immunity
So what causes a weakened immune system:
- Stress: environmental, emotional and physical
- Poor diet and nutritional deficiencies
- Gut disturbances
- Lack of sleep
- Alcohol and sugar intake
- Chronic inflammation
Take notice of these signs, this indicates the immune system is weakened:
- Frequent colds and flu’s
- Frequently tired and lethargic
- Recurrent infections
- Slow wound healing
- Loss of appetite or nausea
Did you know that a disrupted gut weakens the immune system, causes more severe symptoms and can prolong the sickness, while in turn sickness also disrupts the gut. Therefore, it is so important to make sure your gut health is optimal when you are well and nourish and re-boosted after being unwell.
To Prevent and Protect:
- Reduce highly processed foods as this causes gut disturbances, which leads to chronic inflammation and suppresses immunity.
- Diverse diet of fruit and vegetables. The immune system is constantly active so regularly needs energy in the form of vitamins and minerals to keep it fueled.
- Fermented foods: promote healthy bacteria.
- Good sleep: when you are sleep deprived your protective immune cells go down and inflammation goes up.
- Exercise: Strengthens your immune system, gets blood moving which gets immune cells and lymph circulation and doing their daily taste – protecting.
- Hydrate: drink plenty of water, warm water with lemon and raw honey and herbal teas. Add a little turmeric or ginger for an extra boost.
- Easy to digest, nutrient dense foods such as chicken, vegetable soups. Bone broth and heaps of garlic are amazing boosters.
- Avoid alcohol, sugar and refined foods that all suppress the immune system.
- Avoid dairy as this promotes mucus.
- Get plenty of sleep this is where your body repairs and restores.
- Sunshine: head outside in the sunshine to boost your vitamin D, even just 10minutes is what is needed for a boost. Take a book and go lay outside.
- Eat plenty of Vitamin C rich foods: oranges, limes, lemon, strawberry, kiwifruit, mango, pineapple, tomatoes, sweet potato, spinach, broccoli, red capsicum.
- Load up on herbs: garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, coriander, turmeric contain antiviral, antibacterial and antioxidants.
- A probiotic will help boost the good bacteria to fight off the bad.
- A digestive enzyme will help the body get as much nutrients as possible from the food, plus taking the stress off digestion so that the body is able to do all it can to fight the sickness and heal.
A little extra note: In today’s day we are over sanitizing, avoiding close contact with people and staying in doors more often which all play a part in weakening our immune systems. So:
- Get outside and in the fresh air daily
- When possible and especially at home avoid sanitizer and go for the good old soap and warm water.
Our bodies are incredible and our immune systems are proof of this. They have an incredible ability to protect us when given the right tools.
Stay strong and spread love and kindness everywhere you go, cos God knows we all need a little bit more right now.
Love Alissa & Kristyn ❤
**Always read the label. Follow the Directions for Use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional. This medicine may not be right for you. Read the warnings before purchase.**