Forgotten Hero…Digestive Enzymes
Digestive Enzymes are often the forgotten heroes when people talk about gut health. Here at GutAid we want to shine the light back on them, exposing the massive impact and role they play in gut health. But first let’s spend some time diving in to really understand about these little guys!
It is said
“you are not necessarily what you eat, but what you can digest and absorb”
What are Digestive Enzymes?
Digestive enzymes are a group of enzymes used by the body to break down macronutrients (carbs, proteins, fats) into their individual components to ensure proper digestion and absorption of these nutrients.
The natural mechanisms and our body’s enzymes are the major components in breaking down the foods we eat. Where these natural processes are impaired, we see disorders and symptoms occur.
There are thousands of enzymes in the body, but they can all be divided into two main categories: metabolic and digestive.
- Digestive enzymes break down the foods into smaller components to digest and absorb.
- Metabolic enzymes ensure the efficient running of the body; detoxification, immune function, energy production and helping to repair damage.
When deficiencies of digestive enzymes occur, your body then draws on your metabolic enzymes causing deficiencies, negatively impacting other functions of the body.
Signs of Digestive Enzymes Deficiency
The first sign that someone doesn’t produce enough digestive enzymes is disturbed digestion such as reflux, burping, stomach pain, bloating, constipation or diarrhoea. And let’s be honest we have all experienced these at some time if not often!
When digestive enzymes have been lacking a while, we then see symptoms become broader like fatigue, iron and other deficiencies, skin conditions, food intolerances, and poor immunity just to name a few.
Different Enzymes, Different Nutrients
Our bodies are amazing, they contain many different types of enzymes that breakdown different types of nutrients that we consume. Here are a few of the main ones:
- Ensure nutrient absorption from foods and supplements. So basically it’s a supercharger 🙂
- Reduce/ eliminate digestive symptoms such as cramps, bloating, regurgitation, constipation and diarrhoea.
- Supports elimination that helps with gas and bloating, as it reduces fermentation of food. I’m guessing you might know someone who might need this?
- If someone experiences food sensitivities it allows the occasional indulgence by reducing or eliminating symptoms if taken at the same time as food.
- Can be taken after someone has accidentally eaten a food that triggers them, ie gluten/dairy to reduce the severity of symptoms they are experiencing. A lifesaver!
- Essential in gut healing treatments by aiding digestion and reducing stress off the digestive system allowing it time to heal and also reducing damage when “triggers” are accidently eaten (which is always bound to happen).
Want to know more? Checkout our enzyme products Gut Relieve, Dairy Relieve and Gluten Relieve in our store!
Love Alissa & Kristyn ❤
**Always read the label. Follow the Directions for Use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional. This medicine may not be right for you. Read the warnings before purchase.**